Dharma Center Etiquette
We hope you feel welcome when you come to the center. We want to share some common etiquette, so that everyone can get the most out their time here. Please:
- Arrive on time and be ready to start at the scheduled start time.
- Make sure you have parked in an appropriate place and are not blocking the neighbors or blocking other center visitors from coming and going. See parking directions here.
- Do not wear or bring shoes into the gompa.
- Do not put prayers/teachings on the floor, and do not step over them.
- Turn off sound on all devices during an event.
- When the teacher arrives and leaves, students stand until he or she is seated or has left the gompa. The teacher may prostrate before sitting. Once he or she is seated, others may also prostrate, but there is no obligation. You can then take your seats.
- Do not point the bottom of your feet toward the teacher. (This applies to all holy objects, but as they surround the room, just do your best, prioritizing the teacher.)
- Feel free to use the restroom as needed during a class. (During some blessings this is not advised to leave the gompa at all. If this is the case, it will usually be announced.) But otherwise try to minimize distractions and unnecessary comings and goings during class.
- After closing prayers we usually offer a khata (white scarf) and offering to the teacher. Extra khatas and red envelopes for an offering are available. This is entirely optional. For more information about what a khata offereing is and how to offer one, see our Dharma Blog article here.
- Children: Well behaved children may join you, but most events are not designed for children. Please make sure your children are supervised at all times - the house is not childproof. Video games and running in and out of the gompa are distracting and not appropriate. If a child can sit thru an event, we have some children's books and dharma coloring materials, please ask.
- At the end of an event, do not begin clearing the gompa while the teacher is still present in the room. Please wait until the teacher has completely left the gompa before clearing up cushions, trays, etc.
- Any questions, please ask. Thank you.